At Sundance Dental & Orthodontics in Farmington NM, we think about teeth a lot. Maybe not 24/7, but dentistry is our business, so we know more about teeth than most people. We’re using this blog post to share some tooth trivia we hope you will find interesting.
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as vital as your teeth.
- Some prescription painkillers can increase your risk of dental caries.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of kids between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated dental caries.
- Heartburn can be bad for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as adverse for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab.
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
We hope you have found this post interesting and perhaps even learned something new about teeth. At Sundance Dental & Orthodontics in Farmington NM, we offer family and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule your next checkup with us today.
Contact Sundance Dental & Orthodontics:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):